Thursday, March 4, 2010

...so just a little History

I have had migraines now for almost 16 years…and as an almost 31 year old…that is over half my life with pain. In the past, doctors have had me give up caffeine, and done stress tests. We have done MRIs and CAT scans. I have been put on daily beta blockers, and gone through 4 prescription pain meds. Why four? I managed to grow an immunity to the others. So now here I am trying new things for the diet to help myself out. Towards the beginning of the year, I gave up monosodium glutamate, or at least attempted to. It's amazing how much of this is in everything I ate!!! Now, more recently, upon a friend's suggestion, I am lowering my dairy intake. They told me that they had done that, upon their doctor's instructions, and have been migraine free for four weeks!!!! I figured anything is worth a try at this point!

Of course, it starts off very discouraging for me when I had a migraine yesterday: a BAD one. Vision blurred, throwing up, every muscle in my bottom tight….not fun. The worst part was that it came out of NOWHERE, and all of a sudden I was practically incapaciated. I say "practically" because I had no choice but to stay at work. I have missed too many days to afford to leave.


This was just a minor setback in my opinion!! I took the time at lunch today to go through some dairy and MSG free recipes I found on the web. I think that maybe if I can make this more enjoyable to myself (given I love to cook), it may make it easier. Any recipes I find that are worth making again, I will be more than happy to share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment